An ode to 2006
Another year coming to a close
“Hold on!” I say, “hold it at bay!”
Out of habit, reluctant and even wary of change.
And then I recall, with the start this one had,
It just HAD to end!
Another set of plans thwarted,
Flushed down the drain.
Ambitions sidelined, compromises made,
At work and at play;
Relationship dynamics altered…
All just have to be forgotten with time…
Maybe its ‘cause there is better to come.
Because the year also brought,
First time experiences
of yet more of Nature’s limitless wonders;
of binding family ties that never should loosen;
of renewed starts to old associations,
of new friendships and so many fresh sights to see.
Wider horizons, greener pastures beckon…
But in the next year will I see
a greater clarity of purpose?
Will I make a difference, for the better;
At the very least, for me?!
Oh I hope so, fervently I chant!
But then when I look back
this year has not been half bad
I should be glad; I made it through and intact!
So it’s all for the best
That for December 31st 2006, still some days are left.
Maybe I can get in an early start
To all that the new year has to offer
And practice writing a less crappy ode
For the next year!
“Hold on!” I say, “hold it at bay!”
Out of habit, reluctant and even wary of change.
And then I recall, with the start this one had,
It just HAD to end!
Another set of plans thwarted,
Flushed down the drain.
Ambitions sidelined, compromises made,
At work and at play;
Relationship dynamics altered…
All just have to be forgotten with time…
Maybe its ‘cause there is better to come.
Because the year also brought,
First time experiences
of yet more of Nature’s limitless wonders;
of binding family ties that never should loosen;
of renewed starts to old associations,
of new friendships and so many fresh sights to see.
Wider horizons, greener pastures beckon…
But in the next year will I see
a greater clarity of purpose?
Will I make a difference, for the better;
At the very least, for me?!
Oh I hope so, fervently I chant!
But then when I look back
this year has not been half bad
I should be glad; I made it through and intact!
So it’s all for the best
That for December 31st 2006, still some days are left.
Maybe I can get in an early start
To all that the new year has to offer
And practice writing a less crappy ode
For the next year!

8 Comments:
At 2:52 AM,
Anonymous said…
Impressive! Didn't know you did poetry.
At 10:28 AM,
Deepsea said…
neither did i!
At 7:51 PM,
Nehal said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
At 7:52 PM,
Nehal said…
well, well... is london unravelling the dormant poetess in you!!
sahi hai!!! waiting to discover more of such surprise facets abt you
At 6:49 PM,
suri said…
nice one, this was not revealed even in your alphabetical explanation of your name
lets see how the new year changes our perceptions and viewpoints
At 6:09 PM,
Anonymous said…
Hey, awsome to see u try your hand at poetry...happy new year in advance!
Bips
At 6:09 PM,
Anonymous said…
Hey, awesome to see u try your hand at poetry...happy new year in advance!
Bips
At 11:55 AM,
Anonymous said…
so much said and lots yet unsaid
so much known and lots yet to be known
so close no matter how far
an ode that carries the scar
of the year that was and the promise that is
to be ever in the twilight and to wait for the dawn
of a new day a new way and a new play
happy new year... a bit late eh.
Post a Comment
<< Home