London ahoy!
3 weeks so far in London – my achievements, you ask?
Finding an apartment which matches at least 50% of the initial requirements you start off with would be one. You start making new requirements as you go along, like no carpets in the loo, at least 1 window in the bedroom, and after I’ve moved into mine..i realize I next time I should look for an apartment which has a doorbell. As for staying within planned budget - hah!
Of course managed to “fokk” up my laundry – twice. I am now saddled with a bunch of grey unmentionables- ok, maybe I can call them oyster gray collection and pretend they were the same color to start with. Ok, so strike that off the achievement list. But at least they’re still the same size as when they went into the machine.
Got mooned in the tube escalator. At least it was a clean smooth cheeked moon!
Got someone to sell me something. Really sell, and not just give me what I have searched hunted and researched for. So far, I have been sold on a membership form to donate to some worthwhile charity. Haven’t yet filled it, but took it, just because the guy at least tried. Otherwise, everywhere else – restaurant/shop, it’s the same story. I walk into a certain mobile service shop, ask them why they’re better than a certain other service, or at least what features would be a plus with them, the sales rep looks at me as if I’m balmy, and says, I work for so-and-so, how would I know about the other services. Wish that approach worked in my company and on my customers.
Speak English and people understand you the first time without you having to repeat yourself. Happened a few times now – with the Indian shop staff. sighhh. But beggars can’t be choosers eh, when it comes to counting measly achievements!
Next on the agenda, buy one of those spiky boots and sashay stylishly along like the rest of them here. Coming from someone who can sprain her ankle wearing flats, walking on level ground - that by no means will be a small feat!
Great place, this. Seriously. You don’t even need your own Ipod here. Go in the tube and you’ll have a range of them to choose from, you can surreptitiously lean closer to – from pyar kiya toh darna kya to something that rattles your cells from all the way in the opposite seat. You can get free newspapers here, and people leave them in tubes for the next person to read. Surprisingly the weather has been nice, cold and damp not withstanding. It’s invigorating in fact. Since every second person here is a foreigner as well, you fit right in, unlike some other parts of Europe. And the best part is, one need not conform to local styles completely. So that’s what the “English sense of fair play” is all about.
For those with craving to see sights of karol bagh or jalandhar, go straight to Southall. “Khaan, peen te mauj manaoon” at Glassy Junction pub or dare I call it ‘theka’?! I hear one can pay in rupees there! Love the sound of boots clicking on the pavements and love the overcoats and the leggings. Bunch of us can sit together and plan very convincingly our social calendar for the year – you know for instance Belgium/Amsterdam in Jan, then Greece/Cyprus in April, Italy in July oh and of course Scotland with the family in summer. And the best part is, it is so doable!
Yep, liking London so far.
Finding an apartment which matches at least 50% of the initial requirements you start off with would be one. You start making new requirements as you go along, like no carpets in the loo, at least 1 window in the bedroom, and after I’ve moved into mine..i realize I next time I should look for an apartment which has a doorbell. As for staying within planned budget - hah!
Of course managed to “fokk” up my laundry – twice. I am now saddled with a bunch of grey unmentionables- ok, maybe I can call them oyster gray collection and pretend they were the same color to start with. Ok, so strike that off the achievement list. But at least they’re still the same size as when they went into the machine.
Got mooned in the tube escalator. At least it was a clean smooth cheeked moon!
Got someone to sell me something. Really sell, and not just give me what I have searched hunted and researched for. So far, I have been sold on a membership form to donate to some worthwhile charity. Haven’t yet filled it, but took it, just because the guy at least tried. Otherwise, everywhere else – restaurant/shop, it’s the same story. I walk into a certain mobile service shop, ask them why they’re better than a certain other service, or at least what features would be a plus with them, the sales rep looks at me as if I’m balmy, and says, I work for so-and-so, how would I know about the other services. Wish that approach worked in my company and on my customers.
Speak English and people understand you the first time without you having to repeat yourself. Happened a few times now – with the Indian shop staff. sighhh. But beggars can’t be choosers eh, when it comes to counting measly achievements!
Next on the agenda, buy one of those spiky boots and sashay stylishly along like the rest of them here. Coming from someone who can sprain her ankle wearing flats, walking on level ground - that by no means will be a small feat!
Great place, this. Seriously. You don’t even need your own Ipod here. Go in the tube and you’ll have a range of them to choose from, you can surreptitiously lean closer to – from pyar kiya toh darna kya to something that rattles your cells from all the way in the opposite seat. You can get free newspapers here, and people leave them in tubes for the next person to read. Surprisingly the weather has been nice, cold and damp not withstanding. It’s invigorating in fact. Since every second person here is a foreigner as well, you fit right in, unlike some other parts of Europe. And the best part is, one need not conform to local styles completely. So that’s what the “English sense of fair play” is all about.
For those with craving to see sights of karol bagh or jalandhar, go straight to Southall. “Khaan, peen te mauj manaoon” at Glassy Junction pub or dare I call it ‘theka’?! I hear one can pay in rupees there! Love the sound of boots clicking on the pavements and love the overcoats and the leggings. Bunch of us can sit together and plan very convincingly our social calendar for the year – you know for instance Belgium/Amsterdam in Jan, then Greece/Cyprus in April, Italy in July oh and of course Scotland with the family in summer. And the best part is, it is so doable!
Yep, liking London so far.

5 Comments:
At 4:59 PM,
Anonymous said…
Yep, you're in your honeymoon period.
At 12:22 PM,
Anonymous said…
Hmmm, you are making progress....stumbling while wearing flats, exactly how much alcohol in the system, sweetie? or managed to do this minus alcohol this time?
Bips
At 8:32 AM,
Vitruvian said…
Sounds like you are on vacation rather being on an assigment.!! :-)
I love your Job..
At 9:46 AM,
Anonymous said…
If london in this weather (its seriously depressing now, your comments notwithstanding!!!) can make u smile, i wonder wat will the spring/summer do to you. Thats quintessential london - ppl actually smile & wish you in the mornings, wine/book in the park on a lazy sunday afternoon, come back from late night parties at 5 to see brightness outside...i already look forward to your over-excited comments then! :)
vivek
At 4:14 AM,
Anonymous said…
Finally something positive rather than all the negative I keep hearing abt the bloomin weather and COST OF LIVING - "Oh my gosh it's so expensive!!" comments.
Enjoy girl!
Post a Comment
<< Home